Sunday, February 3, 2008

Life in Trinidad

I thought I would share some pictures of our new "lifestyle" here in Trinidad.

If you have read my earlier posts, you know there is a savannah (a huge sports field) next to our apartments.


Every evening people come from all over the local area to run, walk, play soccer or other activities in the cooler twilight hours. One of the activities that Tauna is really enjoying is an aerobics class that is put on by a professional trainer under one of the big trees. She comes out every weekday evening and anyone can participate. She just asks a $5 donation (that's 80 cents in US currency...). You can see Tauna in the back row on the right, or just look for the white lady.



I tried the class a couple of times but was so sore the next day I think I'll stick to running around the savannah (Ike took the picture below). He will occasionally join me around the track a couple of times then we all go to the pool for an evening swim.



Speaking of Isaac, he has a couple of weeks under his belt at his new school. He likes it. It's a Hindu sponsored school, which is a little different, but it is walking distance, so Tauna walks him to school every day. Isaac is required to wear a uniform and participate in Hindu prayers each day, which he finds interesting. The facilities are pretty humble. Classes are in a long hall where individual grades and classes are separated by only rolling chalk boards. So, there is a lot of noise and distractions.




Isaac is quite the celebrity, being the only white kid in the whole school. Kids are hollering out to him all the time, in the store, from car windows, all the kids know him. His teacher told me last week that the principal called all the girls in Isaac's class into the office for a special meeting to tell them that they would have quit hanging on Isaac all the time, that it wasn't "appropriate" behavior for young girls.


All and all the family is doing well in our new environment, making new friends, but really missing family and friends from home.

8 comments:

bec said...

you guys look like you're having a great time. I think we need to have a family reunion at your place.

Larry said...

DWAD!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome posts! We all miss you guys!

HoneyGram & Papa said...

What a great experience for you guys. This is a good way to keep up with whats going on. I hope you check out our blog.

The Andrew Family said...

Hello!!

I finally found you! It took all of five seconds once it dawned on me that I could google you. It hasn't been successful with other friends but you were the first name to pop up!

You look like you're having a wonderful time. What a great adventure. We miss you, though. Drop us a line when you get a chance!

Julie

Jimtheslowultrarunner said...

Hey Dan, It sounds great there. How about emailing me Alex's address.
Jim

Jules said...

What an exciting time for you and your family. Tell eveyone hello from me. Kara said you will all me in Utah in Oct. Hope to see the family than. I am sure you have tons of family here, but you guys are always welcome to stay with us. We live in Lehi.

Scott Bramhall said...

Dan,

You and your family look great, I'm not at all surprised. Can you email me at offscottb@yahoo.com?

Scott Bramhall
Puyallup PD

Christine said...

Hi Dan, I just did a quick search on line for you and Brooks. It is always nice to see old friends doing so well. I can't believe you are in Trinidad. Our best friends in London are Trinees. We were just talking to them about how we should go their together on holiday. We are in Russia for a few years. I love foreign assignments! They are so interesting! Tana will have to exchange recipes with me. I think you two definately got the better deal as far as weather and food go. Check out my blog at... thechristinebaker.blogspot.com
Hey, if you happen to have any dealings with Richard Clark-Wills while you are there he is a successful attorney in Trinidad, I understand he has some shady clients, He was in our ward in North London and was an active, if slightly left wing... member until he returned to Trinidad. His mother and brother were good friends of ours and we would be thrilled if someone would fellowship him,
Take Care and enjoy your adventure. Be Careful, these foreign assignments are addictive. You may never settle down permantly in the states again. I know I hope we don't! Christine (Hill) Baker